Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Firewater

The New York Times has been hitting the bottle pretty hard in the health section recently (here, here, and here). And for good reason. Everywhere we turn these days it is easy to see just how integrated drinking is with our lives. Whether it's the after-work drink to unwind or the weekend party the firewater presents a slippery slope of enjoyment and gradual destruction. I know for myself, and especially in my mid-twenties, I would frequently bust my ass all week working for high-pressure start-ups in silicon valley and sitting in traffic for two hours a day. The way I coped with the stress was to drink myself into the occasional blackout every saturday. I would spend sunday recovering and do it all again the next week. I think this is common, and although I have some pretty funny stories to go with the times that I can remember, the effects on my health were extreme. This could have continued, and might have, had I not been struck with my own version of a meltdown that caused me to re-examine my life. In my case, I was using the drinking as a crutch, as an avoidance of my lack of happiness. I didn't like my job, even though I was told I was good at it. My heart was missing something: a direction and purpose in life that was bigger than what I was living. I drank to ease the pain of this misdirection.

One of the above articles mentions to look for signs of alcohol abuse before it actually becomes alcoholism:

1. Repeatedly drinking more than self-set limits.
2. Having a persistent desire to quit or cut down.
3. Drinking and driving.
4. Spending too much time drinking.
5. Having hangovers or a sleep disorder.

Recognizing these trends can stop a problem before it manifests, which is truly what preventative medicine is all about. For myself, I was definitely guilty of some of these during those days. I still notice a trend in myself, that when the going gets tough, the tough makes martinis (maybe not tough enough: malt liquor?). What is interesting is the relationship of alcohol and the Liver in chinese medicine, and how alcohol in small amounts moves the Liver Qi which can counteract depression, but in larger amounts consumes the Liver Yin (the Blood). This can lead to a vicious cycle that ultimately ends in total dependency, tragedy, and often death. What one of the articles doesn't realize is the ironic co-morbidity of depression and alcoholism. In my opinion, and in my case, the former often times leads to the latter.

I grew up with a family where alcohol was just part of everyday life, but the perils of its abuse were unspoken.

I think its time to speak up.

No comments: