Monday, August 31, 2009

Blue Fire

The caelum, then, is a condition of mind. Envision it as a night sky filled with the airy bodies of the gods, those astrological constellations which are at once beasts and geometry and which participate in all things of the world as their imaginal ground. The caelum does not of course take place in your head, in your mind, but your mind moves in the caelum, touches the constellations, the thick and hairy skull opens to let in more light, their light, making possible a new idea of order, a cosmological imagination whose thought accounts for the cosmos in the forms of images.

-- James Hillman

3 comments:

Snowbrush said...

I came to you via the "Next Blog" button and was delighted to see that you're a Portland guy as I live in Eugene. This very week, I will have my fifth surgery in twenty months, and the recovery will take a year, and that's if I'm lucky. How I have wished some alternative cure might take care of the problem. Good luck with your studies.

Brandon Brown said...

Snowbrush,

Thank you for your words. It is possible that regular acupuncture by a skilled practitioner can be an enormous aid to your healing. Best of luck to you.

Snowbrush said...

Thanks, Brandon. Been there, done that, although I don't know how skilled the fellow was. I only know that he didn't do me a bit of good. Sad to say, but some problems just don't seem fixable by anything but surgery. For example, a torn tendon is like a torn rubber band in that it just keeps stretching until it breaks completely. The downside of such surgeries though is that they take a year to recover from, and that's the best case scenario.